Tuesday, November 03, 2009

NaBloPoMo post # 3: Sunday Mini Review two days late

This Sunday Mini Review is a bit late, but in honor of the Women Unbound challenge, which I am contemplating to participate in, here is a mini review of a book with a very special and in some cases also strong female character (plus its also one of my favorite books read pre-blogging).

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb had me sort of reluctant at first, but it did not take me more than 20 pages to really get into the life of Dolores, her parents, grandmother, friends and foes.
Dolores lives a pretty normal and safe life until she is around 10 years old. From that point on, certain happenings shape her into the woman she is becoming 25 years later. Dolores, and a lot of the other characters in this book, goes through many things before Dolores' journey is over. Dolores' life is not easy, and it is not an easy book to read. There is nothing wrong with the writing, which flows easily, but some parts of the book are very emotional, and it is hard not to feel a little bit of Dolores pain. I really recommend this book.

 This is the third post in the NaBloPoMo-challenge. See my page here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this one on the shelf...I think its size is the only thing stopping me right now.

Beth F said...

Humm. I've heard really good things about this book. I don't know why I haven't read it, but I may just put it on my Women Unbound list.

Natalie W said...

I LOVE Wally Lamb books. All of his books are so good, this one was one of my favs.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I LOVED this book when I read it about 8 years ago. In fact, I've loved all of this authors fiction. Glad u liked it too.

Anonymous said...

I've had this on my shelf for years and haven't felt compellied to read it. Thanks for reminding me why I have it in the first place!