Wednesday, November 04, 2009

NaBloPoMo # 4: Readings for Women Unbound


Since it is a challenge which runs for a whole year: November 1, 2009 - November 1, 2010 I have decided to join, despite all good intentions of not letting challenges rule my reading life. There are several ways of joining, and the Women Unbound rules plus a lot of inspirational lists can be found on the main page here. I have decided to be a level 1 reader: Philogynist: read at least two books, including at least one nonfiction one.

So here is my little list:

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (memoir by a lesbian cartoonist, graphic novel)

The Wiles of Men and Other Stories by Salwa Bakr (collection of short stories by Egyptian feminist author)

I am looking forward to read those books, and the amount of only two books actually makes the challenge seem not so daunting. I may even succeed.

This is the fourth post in the NaBloPoMo-challenge. See my page here.

7 comments:

Heidenkind said...

Well, you're doing really well with the NaBloPoMo challenge, so why not Women Unbound, right? :)

Louise said...

I know, heidenkind. LOL. I erased three challenges earlier this fall from my blog, because I just did not get anything read from those lists, so I was sure I was not going to join any more challenges since it actually annoyed me that I read everything else but from those challenge lists. But if I can join a challenge and only read a couple of books, I think I have a chance :-)

Natalie W said...

Sounds like a great challenge and educating too. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews. I also joined the NaBloPoMo group, looks fun.

Debi said...

I haven't read Fun Home yet either...I should add that one to my list. And I've never heard of your other choice, but I can't wait to see your review! Have fun!

Andi said...

Fun Home is a great idea for the Women Unbound challenge! I think I'm going to join at the 2-book level since I generally suck at challenges, and I've wanted to read Fun Home for ages.

Beth F said...

I think this is going to be a great challenge. And two books is doable.

Anonymous said...

I am very excited for this challenge!