Saturday, November 14, 2009

NaBloPoMo # 14: Thanksgiving and read-a-thon-fun

I am Danish and we do not celebrate Thanksgiving. But that does not mean that I cannot post a little heads-up about what is going on the world of book bloggers during the Thanksgiving-weekend and later one. I read about the Thanksgiving Reading Event on BethF's blog Beth Fish Reads. The idea of this reading event sprung up between Jenn of Jenn's Bookshelf, Jen of Devourer of Books and Beth. I am not sure that I am at home during that weekend, but if I am, I am going to join in on the event, which is, in Beth's words:  

'completely casual. No rules, no prizes, just a way to connect with others who are thankful to have a quiet weekend to read.'

It all takes place from November 27 - 29 and the Twitter hashtag is #thankfulreading, should you decided to join. Read more about it on any of the blogs mentioned above. I think it is a great idea!



This is the 14th post in the NaBloPoMo-challenge. See my page here. The NaBloPoMo button is made by Tracey Delaney.

7 comments:

Eva @ One Swede Read said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite US holiday! Not because I celebrate, but because I get Thursday and Friday off from work - a 4-day weekend for "no reason!" :)

Louise said...

Kind of like all the Danish religious holidays we have during Spring! Do you have those in Sweden as well?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for a long, relaxing weekend full of reading!

Eva @ One Swede Read said...

I know! For a not-religious country, there's an awful lot of them. :)

When they were establishing our National Day as a holiday (a few years ago), they decided to take one of the religious holidays away and there was much protest in Sweden - but when they did a survey, most people didn't even know what the holiday was for, it was so obscure. :)

In the US, because of the "freedom of religion"-thing, there are no religious holidays (apart from Xmas of course), so we'll take whatever we can get... I've tried to introduce the "squeeze-day" concept here, but it's not working. Do you have that in Denmark? I.e. when a holiday falls on a Thursday, you get Friday off too.

Louise said...

@Ewa, actually no. Some schools and some work places might do the squeeze day thing, but in all the places I've worked, if the day after a holiday was a Friday, it was business as usual ;o)

Eva @ One Swede Read said...

That's too bad - squeezeday is a fantastic concept. :)

Beth F said...

I hope you manage to find a little time to read that weekend -- I'm looking forward to indulging myself.