Sunday, November 15, 2009

NaBloPoMo # 15: Sunday Mini Review: Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie

Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie takes place in Ancient Egypt, and is about love and murder in a dysfunctional family around the year 2000 BCE. Its a fine and cosy mystery, and the scene set in Ancient Egypt shows us that when it comes to murder - and love - not much has changed since then.

This is the only book Christie wrote taking place in Ancient Egypt, but she wrote several with a Middle Eastern Scene, such as the well known Death on the Nile (legend had it that she wrote this while vacationing on the Old Cataract hotel in Aswan in Egypt. It is a fabulous hotel, closed these days for refurbishment, so the link goes to google image search) and Murder in Mesopotamia [Iraq] which centers around an archaelogical dig in Iraq. This is not so strange, considering that her husband was the world famous Near Eastern archaeologist Sir Max Mallowan, whom Christie followed around the world on archaeological expeditions.

Don't forget to check out the Agatha Christie webpage, its full of great info and links.

This is the 15th post in the NaBloPoMo-challenge. See my page here.

8 comments:

Virtual Advent said...

Hi Louise,

Can you email me your email address? I don't see it on your blog anywhere. Thanks!

VirtualAdvent (at) gmail (dot) com

Martin Edwards said...

In Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks, John Curran reveals that Christie contemplated writing a modern mystery to counterpoint the one set in Ancient Egypt, within the same book. Sadly, she gave up on the idea.

Heidenkind said...

I've heard about this book before, and it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy, but I've never gotten around to reading it. Christie is a great writer, though, so I'm sure it's wonderful.

Kerrie said...

You might like to submit this post to the Agatha Christie Blog Carnival

mimbles said...

Hey Louise, I suspect you may already know this...but your twitter account appears to have been hacked (again?). Unless you meant to send messages about buying "Quality Online Meds" :P

I never really got into Agatha Christie, my sister liked them so I read a few. Couldn't stand Miss Marple but the other fellow was ok, what's his name...Hercule Poirot.

Tami said...

I have been a Christie fan since high school which, unfortunately, has been a long time. I never new she wrote anything set in ancient Egypt. I'm adding this one to my TBR pile. Thanks for the review.

Søren said...

One of these days I will have to read a Christie novel!

Unknown said...

Next to The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Death Comes as the End is Miss Lemon's top choice for Agatha Christie. Love the way she shows that murder in polite society is no twentieth century (or British!) invention. Nice work.