Tuesday, November 24, 2009

NaBloPoMo # 24: A couple of used book finds

Some months ago a small used books book store opened only a single block from where I live. I have passed by this little shop many times, but either I haven't had time to drop by or else I haven't had any cash on me  (they only accept cash) or I haven't been able to spot something interesting or some other excuse - like not buying any books. So it has taken some months before I actually went in there. A young guy, a student I think, runs this little shop complete with free coffee whether you purchase anything or not. All books are used, some more than others, and while there are expensive things among the shelves, most are really, really cheap. Last week I went in there for the first time, and this past Sunday, I sort of happened by again. I came out of there both times with one book. On my first visit I found one which I have been meaning to read for ages, ever since it was recommended to me in an online book club I used to be a member of. I found it in it's Danish translation, but that will not matter much, hopefully. Have you read it? The book I am talking about is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

On Sunday I was back in there, not looking for anything in particular, just browsing. While I browsed around I found The Faber Book of America, and while it looks very interesting, it also looks like a book where one can only read a few of the essays in it at a time. But now I have it, and can get to it whenever I like. Its not like it was a book I knew about, it just looked intersting and a bit challenging and I just had to have it. Synopsis from Mary Ward Books: Gathering together poetry and memoirs, speeches and letters, fiction and reportage, the editors of this book present the world of the American dream, of American nightmares, and of American days.

I am sure I am going to visit that little shop again very soon. The owner told me that he gets new (old) books down there often, and that he is right now trying to find old copies of books in their original language, mainly English. Hooray for that.
This is the 24th post in the NaBloPoMo-challenge. See my page here.

8 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

Sounds like you have found a little piece of heaven. I love used books stores.

Anonymous said...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is an excellent book...enjoy!

And I'm very impressed you only bought one book!

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for years. Hope you like it :) It's so great that you have used bookstore so close. I'm jealous.

Dorte H said...

There is only ONE thing in the whole world that I envy you city dwellers: easier access to a variety of bookshops :D

Louise said...

LOL Dorte ;-)

Esme said...

This is one of my favorite books.

Beth F said...

You;ll love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. What a great shop.

Heidenkind said...

What's this? Free coffee and young men? This book store sounds like paradise!

I'm so jealous. The only used bookstore we have is our Friends of the Library bookstore, and it's really far away from where I live.