Monday, November 03, 2008

National Blog Posting Month # 3: Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton

For my third blog post in NaBloPoMo I want to mention another number 3: The third book in the series about Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Danmed. The series is written by Laurell K. Hamilton who also write the series about faerie princess Merry Gentry. I am a fan of both, although it admittedly has been a while since I read any Anita Blake. I have two posts on this blog for past Anita Blake-reviews. Click here for review of Guilty Pleasures and here for The Laughing Corpse.


Anyway, I cannot really write a review for Circus of the Damned, as it is a long time since I read it, so this is just a short summary. Anita is still fighting the advances of Master Vampire Jean-Claude. He wants her to become his human servant, but Anita cannot justify to herself being the numero uno vampire hunter in St. Louis and at the same time being the Master Vampire's human servant. But it does show that Anita is tempted, at least by the thought of bedding Jean-Claude! In this book there are more serious things at stake though than musing over how it would be to sleep with Jean-Claude, as it seems there are other powerful vampires wanting a big bite (!) of the cake as well. Anita finds herself drawn into it all and has to fight not only ancient vampires but also some even stranger creatures. The big battle is to take place in that strange establisment called Circus of the Damned. I remember that this book was one of my absolute faves in the whole series (of those I've read so far) and also one of the scariest ones. But still full of the trademark tough humor of Anita Blake and all her monsters and vampires. Oh, and lest I forget it.....this is also the book where Anita meets Richard for the first time. There is plenty more about him to come in the next books.

For more about Anita Blake, Laurell K. Hamilton and tons of other supernatural book-stuff you can visit Jackie's blog Literary Escapism.

My page at NaBloPoMo.

The badge on top left is made by Mimbles.

No comments: