Wednesday, November 12, 2008

National Blog Posting Month # 12: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

I am lucky that I have a "back catalogue" of books I haven't reviewed here as I do not have any ideas for today's NaBloPoMo-post. I hope I am feeling more inspired tomorrow. So today I am going to write a little about Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. I read it years ago.
Angela's Ashes is young Frank McCourt's childhood memories. Frank grows up in Ireland: a poor, cold, damp, ugly, depressed Ireland. The Irish blames a lot on the English, Frank's family is dysfunctional to say it the least and life is not just tough - it is very tough. The lives of Frank and his family seems doomed from the beginning And still, Frank McCourt manages to write an inspiring, heartwarming, funny and touching story. But also a story that will make you very sad, a story which, at some points, seem utterly hopeless. Between the lines you are able to read the humor, the humor that must have kept Frank McCourt (and his family) alive, even during the worst of times. All in all, you get the feeling that Frank and his family really want life, as ugly and meaningless as it sometimes seem. I liked this book a lot, and look forward to read other books by Frank McCourt.


This is my 12th post in the NaBloPoMo-challenge. See my page here.

No comments: