Monday, January 19, 2009

A little trip to the library

Today I went for a little trip to the library. I had two books on hold, and needed to pick them up today. One is The Curious Incident of the Dog in Nighttime by Mark Haddon (and no, I am one of those who still didn't read that one), which I am reading as part of the Dewey's Books Reading Challenge and the other one was Norwegian author Anne Holt's What Never Happens, which was recommended by Dorte from DJs Krimiblog. I am currently reading Paul Auster's Oracle Night, which is good, but I think I will read the Anne Holt book inbetween, because it looks like a fast and easy read.

Did any of you read any Anne Holt books or other books by Scandinavian authors?

7 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am not familiar with Anne Holt, but I do like Scandinavian authors. I'll be curious to know what you think of it when you read it!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I'll be reading 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' for Dewey's Reading Challenge, too. Right now I'm starting with 'March' as my first Dewey book, which I've begun but already had to put aside in order to read books to review on my blog. It happens.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Anne Holt. The closest I've come to a Scandanvian author lately is Barbara Sjoholm, who really is American...I think her mom was Scandanvian and she uses her name to write under.

Strumpet said...

I AM one of those people who hasn't manged to read The Curious Incident yet ... even my son has read it, so I think I should get on it!! I will pull it from the shelf and put it on the night stand to remind me!

I've never read any Holt, but last year I read all the books by Anne B Ragde in Norwegian (Berliner Poplene). I devoured the series. NRK, the Norwegian national tv station, has made it into a tv series that is actually available online. My mother thinks I should watch it, but I'm really worried that I'll be disappointed ...

Louise said...

Thanks all for your comments. I am halfway through the Anne Holt thriller by now and it is pretty good.

After that, I am going to finish my Paul Auster and begin The Curious Incident...Looking forward to see what all the fuss was about. Everyone I know has read it ;o)

I never read any Anne B Ragde books (or saw the tv-series) but I see her books all over the place, so maybe that was a new author to get to know :o)

mimbles said...

I enjoyed The Curious Incident... but at the time I read it it was rather over-shadowed in my mind by Elizabeth Moon's The Speed of Dark which has an autistic main character. It won the Nebula Award in 2003.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read any book by
spanish writer Pío Baroja?

'The science tree' for example.