Saturday, October 25, 2008

The 5th Horseman by James Patterson

At some point, I am probably going to say that I have read all James Patterson's books. Even though I think that his writing and his stories get weaker and weaker and weaker. And every time I finish one I swear it will be the last.
But after a trip to the library where I did not find what I was after, I ended up loaning his The 5th Horseman. It is book no. 5 in his "Women's Murder Club" series. I have read no. 1 and 2. They were definitely not very good and neither is this one. Patterson has a co-author on almost all his books and that is the same for this one, but that does not make the quality any better.

There are two cases which our heroine, police-woman Lindsay Boxer has to crack in this book, with her "Women's Murder Club". This "team" has a forensic pathologist, a journalist and a lawyer.

First case is about one or more serial killers who displays their victims in luxury cars, dressed in designer gear.

The other case is about a hospital being sued for malpractice. Apparently healthy patients die like flies after being admitted to this hospital. Both plots are very weak, to put it mildly and that, which really bugged me was that the two plots are not even connected. Middle into the book, one of the cases is solved and then we hear nothing more about it. That is so not good enough. It is YAWN! The book is divided into super-short chapters, which is not necessarily a bad thing, and when they are so badly written as is the case here, it is almost a relief.

The book is a real fast read and while reading I did wonder why on earth I bothered, seeing as there are so many good books out there waiting to be read. Apparently I cannot really stay away from badly written mysteries ;-)

No comments: