Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld


Pretties is the second book in Scott Westerfeld's series of four books about Tally Youngblood living in a future where everyone gets to be pretty when they celebrate their 16th b.day. First book was called Uglies, read my post about that one here.

Pretties takes off some time after Uglies ended. Tally has had her operation and is now finally a pretty, who has seemingly forgotten all that happened in Uglies and all the new things she learned about the pretty making operation while she stayed in the rebellious camp with the Smokies. Life is about being pretty, party and have fun. But something keeps tugging Tally's pretty brain, and after Zane, one of the popular pretty boys, and her becomes friends and Tally join the popular clique The Crims, she realizes that something is definitely off with being so pretty and carefree. She knows that there is something more, and she knows that time is running out if she ever wants to make something out more of life than just being pretty and stupid.

Soon Tally and Zane and the rest of The Crims make plans, and Tally may be headed into her biggest adventure yet. Not without costs, as Tally learns along her path to become another and maybe more whole person.

I found this one a bit more interesting than the first one, and I am looking forward to read the next book called Specials. I am still not totally crazy about the series, but it keeps getting better. This review is sort of thin, but I can't reveal too much without spoiling what happens in the first book.

4 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

That's funny that you liked this one better. I enjoyed the first book best and had a hard time with Specials. That may be that I read them all right in a row; perhaps I should have taken a break. I haven't read Extras yet, but maybe some day.

Suzanne Yester said...

I really enjoyed the Uglies and have the whole series to read one of these days. Now I'm reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver, which has a similar Dystopian theme. It isn't being "ugly" in Delirium, it's "being in love" and all the emotions to go along with it that is wiped out of these young people.

Beth F said...

I really liked Uglies and should get on with the series. Glad to know that one was better.

The Big Red Poet said...

I don't know where else to leave this comment, although it's not about Westerfeld's Pretties. I'm pleased to see that you're currently reading The Clearing. I read the novel recently, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Gautreaux deserves a place on the bookshelf next to McCarthy...maybe not RIGHT next to him, but close. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on the novel.