Monday, March 16, 2009

It's Monday. What are you reading this week?

J-Kaye from J. Kaye's Book Blog asks in this weekly what we are reading this week. Check the blog for more details and join in the fun yourself. A great way to get the reading-week going.


Books Completed Last Week

I'm not such an avid reader that I can finish stacks of books in a week. Sometimes I barely manage 10 pages, other times I read 2-3 books in a week. It all depends. The past week(s) however, I've been away and have finished 3 books:

Dinosaurens fjer (The Feather of the Dinosaur) by Sissel-Jo Gazan. This is a Danish scientific thriller slash chick lit which has become a huge bestseller in Denmark. I have reviewed it on my Danish blog, but since it has not been translated to English, I am not going to review it here. The plot revolves around Anna, who has just finished a controversial MA thesis in order to graduate as a biologist from University of Copenhagen. Suddenly dramatic stuff happens around her and it looks like some are hell bent on not having her go public with her thesis.

The Associate by John Grisham. You can read my review below.


This week I hope to finish

Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella. It has been a while since I sat down with a true chick lit novel, and I bought this one the other day when I flew home from Egypt. I needed something light for the flight and managed 100 pages. Haven't read since I got home, but will continue reading it this week. It is an okay read, but I am not overly impressed.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. This is a book I have been meaning to read for a long time. It's a classic and I have read about 100 pages. It's a bit weird, but I like the writing and the weirdness. Anyone else read this? What are your thoughts?

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon. Have been trying to chew through this for ages. I am deeply sorry for all affected by Autism or Asperger's Syndrome in your families, but I cannot get into the swing of it with this book. I find Christopher super-annoying. But will finish!

What is up next?

I rarely decide what I want to read next until it is actually time, but if I manage to finish the above books, I am planning to continue with my Challenges Lists and am thinking of The Color Purple (which I have home from the library) or To Kill a Mockingbird (which I have on my shelf)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really want to read John Grisham's book. Since I have so many on my list, I know I won't get to it this year. Have you heard if it will be made into a movie? His books make the best movies.

Dorte H said...

I like The Color Purple, but the writing style (diary with authentic spelling errors, ´Black American´ etc) can be a bit boring. To Kill a Mockingbird is a fantastic classical novel.

Myself, I have just read Sophie Hannah, Little Face. People kept recommending her books, and last week a blog friend suddenly sent it to me because she thought I might like it :D
And I did.

Megan said...

So many people were just crazy about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, but I wasn't. I mean, it was good, I guess, but I definitely wasn't as excited about it as everyone else seems to be. Finally, another person who doesn't seem to be too wild about it, either! =)

Beth F said...

I read Confederacy of Dunces years ago. It is definitely weird but brilliant.

As for what's next: can't go wrong with either of these. I loved them both.

Louise said...

Thanks all for your comments. I did glance through the first pages pf The Color Purple and wondered if the whole book was written diary-style, but I guess it is. I think that one is up next, as I have get it back to the library soon.

And Megan, glad to hear I am not the only one not too crazy about The Curious Incident....

Debi said...

That was a nice pile of reading you got done!